If you are looking to improve your smile this season, perhaps to get rid of a chipped or cracked tooth, you may be overwhelmed by all of the cosmetic dentistry options on the market today. One good solution for chipped, yellowing, or cracked teeth, is porcelain dental veneers. Dental veneers are ultra thin porcelain overlays that fit securely and permanently over the face of your existing teeth. Unlike with crowns, your dentist needs to remove very little of your existing tooth in order to apply the veneer.
This cosmetic dentistry option is less expensive than many other dentistry products and can give you a bright, uniform smile again. However, cost and apperance are just two of the many reasons to consider veneers.
1. Cost. Dental veneers are less expensive than porcelain crowns and much less costly than dental implants.
2. Durability. Properly made and fitted veneers will last between five and ten years before they need to be replaced.
3. Versatility. Veneers are suitable for correcting a host of dental issues, from chipped teeth to stained teeth to misshapen teeth. The can even be used to correct crooked teeth or teeth with large gaps between them.
4. Natural looking. Veneers are made to look like your natural teeth and they reflect light just as your existing teeth do. Well-made veneers are virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth.
5. Stain resistance. Since veneers are made from dental grade porcelain, they are naturally more resistant to stains from things like coffee, tea, red wine and berries. While your natural teeth are somewhat porous and will absorb stains, potentially staining foods can be brushed away easily from veneers.
6. Quicker to apply. Veneers are also a more speedy cosmetic dentistry option than many other products. While dental implants can take months from the first appointment to a finished smile, the process of fitting and applying veneers takes just two or three appointments.
7. Easy to care for. No special care is required to keep veneers looking bright and clean. You simply brush them as you would your natural teeth. There are no special solutions or cleaning procedures required with veneers as you have with dentures.
While dental veneers may not be the right choice for every person looking to brighten their smile, this cosmetic dentistry option is cost effective, versatile, long lasting, and very natural looking. To learn if they will work for you, ask your dentist.